Tuesday, August 2, 2011

DIY Dorm: Wall Art

As I prepare for moving into my dorm in just these next few weeks, I have been working on making my own wall art for my room. I love creating collages so that is where I have started. So far I have made five big collages; each one is fashion themed and all the clippings are from old magazines. I thought, hey if I'm saving these pictures and articles already, why not take them out the file folders I usually keep them in and then never look at and make them something I will see every day and get daily inspiration from it all? So these past few days I have gone through about 2,000 articles and pictures (and that is no even half of my "collection")! Since I get six fashion magazines regularly and usually end up picking up one or two different ones off the news stand every month, I have a lot of material to work with.

Now there are pros and cons to having so much fashion to go through.

Pro: lots to choose from, fun to look at different magazines take on the same trend or even the same piece of clothing, never ending supply of inspiration.

Cons: it takes a LONG time to look at each page, it takes a LONG time to cut out each piece you like, it takes a LONG time to sort through everything in the end.

Now if you don't get as many fashion magazines as I do, you can always look up spreads online at fashion-spread.com, fashioneditorials.com or fashiongonerouge.com and of course style.com

Still, I love creating interesting compositions and color schemes. I also love how free and flowing a well-made collage can be. I like how easy it is to change up the composition of the piece too to suite your mood. I like that the art tells not only what you think is aesthetically pleasing but also shows your passions and most loved items. It is a conversation piece too, great when starting a new chapter in life (I need all the ice-breaking help I can get for college). Another reason to make your own dorm art is that these collages can double as mood boards or tend boards in the future too. (A mood board is essentially the first visual step in creating a fashion collection since it is where the designer places images, text and fabric textures and colors together to create a picture of the style a designer wants to achieve in their own collection. ) Now that we have that cleared up, I thought I would share a few of my collage/ mood boards that I have made thus far.

Another tip: after I get a composition I like I take a picture of it and then remove each layer and put each layer in a pile. I then reference my photo and glue the bottom layer down and work my way up. To preserve the piece (especially if it is going to be hanging on a wall) I "laminate" it by wrapping strips of clear packaging tape over the top and around the edges as a protective barrier.




Hope you like it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment