Monday, August 1, 2011

Project Runway


The fiercest show on television has arrived again! Gracing the streets of Manhattan and taking place in my favorite school, Parsons New School of Design (where I hope to be next year). "Make it work!" is ringing in my ears again and my mind is racing with fashion ideas as the show plays out on TV. As most of you know, last Thursday Project Runway season 9 premiered on Lifetime. Now anyone who knows me knows that this is my favorite television show ever. I was not big on fashion in the first season but after I started taking sewing classes in 2005, I learned of this wondrous show and fell head over heels, madly in love with it. All of it. Tim Gunn, Heidi Klum, Michael Kors, even Nina and of course the kick-ass contestants and the most amazing challenges. I find that each time I watch this show, no matter what season, I fall in love with fashion design all over again. I love that the challenges are unconventional and that the time limit and pressure is so intense you can feel the anxiety of the contestants oozing out the screen. I love most to hear about the contestants stories, what inspires them, where they are from, where they went to school, what makes them love fashion and sewing as much as I do. I love to hear the rip of fabric, snipping of scissors, the whir of sewing machines, the whoosh of fabric being opened and aired out. I love it all. Sigh
So like I was saying, the new season of Project Runway looks quiet interesting. After last seasons biggest debate ever over the winner, this season has a lot to contend with in terms of the drama and backstabbing that goes on in the workroom. I was excited though to see such a variety of designers this season though. My top picks so far are:
  • Bert Ketter. At 57 he is super on trend and has a great eye for cut and style. He has a way of making difficultly constructed garments look effortless. And he went to Parsons.
  • Anthony Ryan Auld. He is a southern boy with major fierceness. I love his modern and edgy clothing that look timeless at the same time. I also love that he is color blind yet he pairs colors perfectly, which I find super amazing. Plus he has survived cancer so you know he has a never-give-up attitude.
  • Oliver Green. I mean who doesn't like a cute Asian with a British accent. Oh and his clothes are nice too.
This girl though just makes me mad.
  • Anya Ayoung Chee
Why? Because she has been sewing for only 4 (!!!!!!) months!!!! Wtf! How in the heck do you make a freaking perfect pair of pants, her first pair of pants she had ever made mind you, and then make a cute silk top, her first time working with silk too, and not make it look like crap with only 10 hours to make it all? I personally think that she has been sewing quite a bit more then she says. I mean there is only so much god-given talent one can have when it comes to sewing. The fabric usually has a mind of it's own and tends to like to mess with people who push their luck with it. So I hope the next piece of fabric she has is mean to her. Hehe, yes I know I am mean.
Anyway, I am SUPER excited for Thursday nights now.
Auf Wiedersehen

No comments:

Post a Comment